Saturday, May 29, 2010

Le Nain Rouge and Woody the Vernors Gnome

The lutin has haunted Detroit since Lafayette's time so one must presume he followed him from France. Once, when I was a child, I remember feeling ill at Cobo Arena during a Knicks/Pistons game. Dave Bing, Earl Monroe, Willis Reed and Bob Lanier - but all I could think about was going to the concession stand to get a soda pop to calm my stomach. They served hot Vernors, something I'd never had before, and I bought one. There was Woody the Vernors Gnome on a sign smiling at me. Intuitively, I felt myself in the presence of evil. Later I would discover the urban legend of Le Nain Rouge, and come to the conclusion that Le Nain Rouge and Woody the Vernors Gnome were one and the same. If we admit that terrorists read their own press clippings, and thus evolve their public personas with the passing of time, it is the only logical conclusion one can come to.

No comments:

Post a Comment